Glad you're getting to go home tomorrow. Recuperation is always more comfortable at home. Sure glad to have this site so we can have almost real time communications. We're keeping all of you in our prayers and looking forward to hear about your progress. Duane & Bettie
Dick, you look great. Glad to hear you are going home soon. I will inquie about local and cleveland oncology consults if you want to consider one of htese for a second opinion. The info described with combo chemoradiation sounds like the current state of treatment as I know. Karen 7 I will keep all of you in our prayers. Clifford
This section provides background on how my cancer was discovered and a few key dates associated with the 2-year journey.
In mid-August 2008, I was taking a shower when I coughed up a small amount of blood. I would probably not have gone to the doctor for that alone, but I already had an appointment for allergy problems. I mentioned it to the doctor at the end of my exam. He thought it was probably nothing, but recommended that I go for a chest x-ray.
An HOUR after the x-ray, he called to say that there was a mass and I should schedule a CT scan immediately.
That led to a visit to the pulmonary doctor, who did a bronchoscopy and a PET scan. On Sept. 10th, he diagnosed me with "non-small cell" lung cancer. The tumor is somewhat larger than a golf ball.
For perspective, I have NEVER smoked. Only 15% of those with lung cancer are non-smokers, and less than half of those are men. Needless to say, I am in the minority in terms of people that get lung cancer. Never the less, it is very real and must be treated aggressively.
On Sept. 29th I had surgery to remove the upper right lobe of my lung, as well as three lymph nodes. The surgery took 2+ hours. I was in the hospital for four days.
On Wednesday October 1 we learned that the pathology report was not good. In addition to the cancer in the upper right lobe of my lung, there was also cancer in at least one lymph node. The pathology clarified that the cancer is adenocarcinoma. While lung cancer is normally associated with smoking, about 10% of the people with this particular type of cancer are non-smokers.
Following surgery, I had chemotherapy from Nov 2008 - Jan 2009, then radiation in Feb & Mar 2009. Scans from May 2009 - Feb 2010 were "clean" with no cancer. On June 2, 2010, an MRI showed a brain tumor. The older updates to this blog track the progress during recovery from surgery, as well as initial chemo and radiation treatments. The more recent entries provide updates on the 2010 brain tumor and treatments.
2 comments:
Glad you're getting to go home tomorrow. Recuperation is always more comfortable at home. Sure glad to have this site so we can have almost real time communications.
We're keeping all of you in our prayers and looking forward to hear about your progress.
Duane & Bettie
Dick, you look great. Glad to hear you are going home soon. I will inquie about local and cleveland oncology consults if you want to consider one of htese for a second opinion. The info described with combo chemoradiation sounds like the current state of treatment as I know. Karen 7 I will keep all of you in our prayers.
Clifford
Post a Comment