Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chemo Week #12

My chemo treatments are officially over! Week twelve is the final week of the fourth treatment cycle. I didn't have any new chemo, so I continue to feel a bit better every day. I still have some remaining side effects (primarily fatigue and ringing in my ears), I know I'm doing better. At the same time, I have to recognize that many of the chemicals are still in my body. They are still fighting cancer cells and there will be some linger side effects for up to a year.

This week I met with the radiation oncologist again and had a CT scan in preparation for radiation treatments. The good news is that no cancer was detected in the scan. This was the expected outcome, but it is still good to know that nothing new showed up.

Next week I will begin daily radiation treatments. Each treatment takes just a few minutes. They will be done daily (Monday through Friday) for a total of 30 treatments. While the chemo was a broad treatment, to attack cancer any place in my body, the radiation will be very focused on the lymph nodes in the middle of my chest (near where the original tumor was removed). The combination of chemo and radiation treatments (along with diet and exercise) provides the highest success rate for battling my cancer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just want to send you some love and let you know we're thinking about you! Keep up the good work!
xo Kelly and Luis