Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hospice

Dick is now settled at the in-patient Hospice Center in Blue Ash.  It is a wonderful facility and we have been extremely pleased with the care he has received here so far.  The focus is on keeping Dick comfortable and the nurses have done an excellent job of doing that.  As I type, he is sleeping peacefully beside me.

Dick's oncologist for the past three years, Dr. Kirlin, visited him at hospice earlier today.  We greatly appreciated his visit.  He confirmed once again that there is no viable course of treatment at this point.  He said the blood clots that caused the two strokes are likely ancillary symptoms tied to Dick's cancer.  Despite all the blood thinners the doctors have tried, they have not been able to stop the clots (Dr. Kirlin said he has never seen a clotting problem of this severity before).  Dr. Kirlin also noted that Dick's liver is quite a bit larger than it was at his last visit.  Previous scans have indicated lesions on his liver, which have probably grown in size and number.  The bottom line is that Dick's health problems are many and our treatment options are few.

We have been blown away by all the prayers and support that we are receiving, and we cannot thank you enough.  It always brings tears to my eyes when I read and hear messages from everyone that Dick has touched along the way.  We are passing these messages along to Dick (everything we have been told indicates that he can still hear), so that he can share in the joyful memories and know how loved he is.  If you have a message that you would like us to pass along to Dick, please post it in the comments, post it on the Facebook sites for Sharon or Bryan, or send it via e-mail to bkclark12@hotmail.com

At this time, we would request that anyone wishing to visit Dick contact Sharon or Bryan to figure out if it is a good time.  The best support you can offer is your continued thoughts, prayers, and encouragement.  We love you all.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Please tell Dick that he is one of the most wonderful men in the world. I am certainly not the first or last to say he has been the best boss we could ever have hoped for.
Mark

Linda said...

my heart is breaking for all of you right now. i have been so blessed to have gotten to know dick through our cancer support group. his courage while fighting this terrible disease will forever be an inspiration to the way that i want to live my life. we have been praying for his miracle, and it is so hard when God has a different plan. please tell dick how much i love him, thank you for sharing him with me, and know that i am praying for peace and comfort for each of you.
linda heinemeyer

angeliki argyrokou said...

I pray for Dick with all my love and with all my faith in god. Please tell him how much I love him. I am sure all the people in P&G that know him feel the same. I am blessed I have gotten to know and to work for Dick. He is the best boss in the world.
Angeliki Argyrokou

Scott Meeker said...

Wow - I am not usually at a loss for words, but it is difficult for me to express just how much we hurt for you and Dick. I have always loved singing next to Dick. Even during regular hymns he would sing a different part for each verse. If it would comfort Dick, I am sure a small group from MOF would come over and sing a few songs to him. Please let me know if you would like us to do that. We love you guys and will keep praying everyday. Even our boys are praying at night for "Mr. Clark".
-Meekers

Vincent said...

Words seem inadequate to express the sadness I feel.
Dick made my position possible in P&G, and I'll always be gratefull to him.
Tell him it was an honor to have work for him, and met him personally.
I'm praying form him, and may God's grace and strength be with him.

Vincent